Sunday, November 27, 2011

Module 10 Managing the classroom

It's easy to point a finger, but much harder to point the way.
Duane Alan Hahn

Managing the classroom

This course has contributed to my teaching practice and personal life through clarifying and complementing concepts and ideas; it also has modified some perceptions regarding language learning and teaching. Thinking and reflecting about theory shape my way of thinking and even redefine my role as teacher. For instance, I noticed I was wrong or did not agree with some procedures because I had misunderstood their philosophy.

Throughout this course I have had the chance to identify and put in order my priorities as a teacher. When I began this process there were many thoughts and notions in my mind but I realized it is necessary to categorize them, to have a clear view of what we expect from my learners and my own performance and how I can find it. Defining my own profile and selecting specific principles make a frame to delimitate my specialty.

Learning and teaching are full of interesting discoveries but I am aware now that these findings are possible when teachers are in tune with all the variables that take place in a class. The more teachers observe the more they obtain answers and conclusions. However, identifying ups and downs is not enough if teachers are not receptive enough to make adjustments. For example, more than creating a nice environment in my classroom, I consider necessary to keep it, many teachers and students start their courses full of enthusiasm but when the lessons progress their interest decreases. Positive atmosphere requires the teacher and learners’ contribution. It is not a matter of teachers’ job exclusively; all of the group should do their best. Based on what the author Jeremy Harmer states about classroom management, I think teachers should be exceptional and careful observers to examine their learners’ needs and preferences in order to decide what behavior is the most appropriate to make them feel comfortable. It is essential to develop awareness to make right decisions regarding proximity, appropriacy, movement, tone of voice, methodology, didactics, etc.

It is surprising the numerous skills teachers should have and the elements involved in a learning language process. We deal with an incredible amount of components to consider, and it is amazing how skillful teachers become in order to apply everything they know and make their students learn and feel comfortable.

It is extremely useful to study and work simultaneously because I can put in practice what I find out. I try to take into account what I learn and try to transform the way I teach, the essential is to keep improving. I do not want to become a static teacher who is afraid of changes, advances, reflection, criticism, challenges, etc. I want to keep a positive attitude to implement effective methods, to accept different forms of teaching, to reflect on my work, (self assessment is indispensable), and over all I want to be humble enough to recognize and admit when I am wrong.

In the future I would like to continue teaching, I am sure as long as I keep updating my practice it will be easier and more efficient. Reading, reflecting, discussing with colleagues will be helpful (all the time) to find a balance.

No comments:

Post a Comment